Sunday, November 26, 2006

Poor People & Flood Protection

This letter points to an all too common, and sad, story of protection from natural disasters being better funded for the wealthy (who can generally ride out the disaster much better) than the poor (who rarely ride out natural disasters well) by public leaders too often more responsive to those who fund their campaigns than those who need their protection most.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
- Published 12:00 am PST Sunday, November 26, 2006


How Meadowview is left out

Re "Tax hike sought for flood work," Nov. 17: As I sat in my Meadowview area home the other morning and read of plans by the Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency to increase my taxes once again, I recall the promise made by SAFCA to me and other area homeowners when it was seeking approval for the last levee improvement tax. The promise was that I would get 100-year flood protection within a couple of years and enjoy lower rates on my flood insurance. Well, here it is a good three years hence, and while Natomas and downtown homeowners and developers enjoy their 100-year protection and lower rates, those of us in the lower-income, culturally diverse Meadowview area still don't have the protection we were promised. Coincidence? I think not.

Am I inclined to support yet another increase request from SAFCA? I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but my answer is leaning strongly toward "no." I would also urge my fellow area residents to think long and hard about it as well. If SAFCA can't come through on its last promise, why would we trust it with even more of our money now?

- David Houghton, Sacramento