Looks like a great project even with the delays.
High bids postpone Tower Bridge renovations
City to seek new bids on widening sidewalks on the span; planned 2008 completion remains intact.
By Ralph Montaño - Bee Staff WriterPublished 12:00 am PDT Thursday, October 26, 2006
The city's plan to add pedestrian walkways to the landmark Tower Bridge hit a small snag earlier this month, when the Sacramento City Council rejected all bids to do the work.
City officials said the project's expected completion date -- June 2008 -- has not changed, but planned closures of the bridge are being delayed until late 2007 and early 2008.
"Closures will not start until September 2007," said Linda Tucker, a spokeswoman for the city's Department of Transportation. The first closure was original scheduled for January to April of 2007. The dates have been shifted to September to November of 2007. A second closure is scheduled from January to April 2008.
Tucker added that the $11.6 million project is scheduled to be completed by June 2008.